Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 7-- Old Biscuit Mill



We had the day off with classes today so we headed to a food market called Old Biscuit Mill. So far the food has been subpar on my trip but this market definitely changed my opinions. I got out of the cab and i immediately caught a whiff of 100s of delectable scents. There was a big building with local food vendors stationed near the walls. The middle was bustling with people pushing and shoving to get to the next vendor. I went to town on the food to say the least. I got a slice of garden fresh pizza that had avocado, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, and some other tasteful spices. Then I got this African chocolate smoothie/ milkshake. I bought African cheeses and the local bread for later. Then I walked by this stand that all the kids were crowding around. A young man was selling miniature pancake puffs with powdered sugar, maple syrup, and fresh African butter. He made the pancake puffs on the spot with this portable stove with rounded cupcake like indentions. Definitely want to bring this back to the states! They had sangria made with lemonade, white wine and a medley of fruits. Yum. I also got some mango juice which went well with my nutella and banana crepe. Yes, I ate all of this food in one sitting but I definitely want to go back to try the rest that I couldn't squeeze into my stomach.


After the food market, we went to an African vendor market. There was a lot of poverty around us and was hard to overlook it to go about spending more money. One old women came up to me and started telling me her daughter had my eyes and that she wanted to take them from me. She looked very intoxicated/ on some sort of strong drugs so I was unsure of how to respond. Then, a security guard came to see the commotion as she reached across me and tried to take a carved rock I was looking at purchasing. He ended up dragging her away as she yelled and I lost my appetite for shopping and we went home shortly after. When we were waiting for a cab, there was a group of 8 young African children dancing with cans tied to them and rags covering their body. They were asking for money and while I wanted to help them, I was reminded that they were most likely getting exploited and my money would by no means help them.
The whole scene was rather discouraging so when I got home I definitely needed to clear my head and go for my first run in cape town. Emily Gregory and I ran up to the light house and back and ran a good 2.5 miles. It was really easy despite our fast pace because the whether was around 60 degrees and there was a nice beach breeze as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment