Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 9 -- the Waterfront

In the morning we attended a leadership lecture and learned about different leadership paths and strategies. Mallory taught us that in situational leadership there are three stages in the path to success: self awareness, congruence (walking the talk), and then commitment. I feel like I am pretty well aware of myself and am starting to act on the issues I stand for but I could definitely enhance this part and increase my commitment and dedication. We also learned that in groups, controversy with civility is crucial. A leader must consider and integrate multiple perspectives from their fellow team members. For all that know me well, this is definitely an important step in need to take in my journey to be a better leader. 
After class Chris, Gabe, Madeline, Jake, Jack, Zach and I all took a cab to the waterfront and soaked up the harbor scene and grabbed lunch. I tried the South African burger joint called Steers and my chicken sandwich was surprisingly even better than the Hotel sandwiches. It was nice to get a gold old greasy meal so far from home. We then walked a mile or so to the Green Market square and bartered some more. I helped Jake barter for a springbok fur (typical) and helped Jack get a good price on his painted ostrich egg (not surprised). Andrew Sugrue definitely would have been proud of me carrying on his bartering skill legacy. 
We then met up with Deej and Anna and walked back to the waterfront to go grocery shopping. Highlights consisted of buying box wine (equivalent to 6.5 bottles) for only 55 rand (8 US dollars). Yahzee. 
We got back to our apartment just in time to shower for Trivia. We brought our box of wine and were ready for victory. We were doing pretty well at first and were even in the lead for most of the beginning but then the wine set us back a little and we ended up coming in last place. Good fun nonetheless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment